An alternative version of the assessment has been created for students with an IEP, including students with a visual impairment, and for students with special circumstances. This version contains single-selection questions only, and is not adaptive. Students who can access the assessment online and require audio without full descriptions of all mathematics graphics will not require the alternative version. Schools are encouraged to try the sample test, alternative version sample test with full audio descriptions, and the alternative version sample test without full audio descriptions found at EQAO.com to better understand the differences.
Please ensure that you have indicated that this student has an accommodation and that you have used the e-assessment system to select the format of the alternative version required. This will ensure that the online version of the test and the requested format of the alternative version match.
The following formats of the alternative version are available for the sample test and the operational assessment:
- Braille format of the assessment (contracted or uncontracted);
- Printable PDF of the assessment (regular and large print); and
- Online alternative version of the assessment (for students who require full descriptions of all mathematics graphics and/or who can only complete single selection questions).
There are two ways for students using the alternative version to access the audio format:
- By separate audio MP3 files; or
- using the audio directly in the e-assessment platform (built-in-text-to-speech).
For both ways, there are two audio formats available:
- audio with full descriptions of all mathematics graphics for students who have a visual impairment: or,
- audio without full descriptions of all mathematics graphics.
EQAO requires 5 to 7 business days to process a request for the Braille formats and 3 business days to process a request for all other formats.
A printable PDF (regular or large print) of the assessment will be included when the Braille format is ordered.
IMPORTANT: All responses to questions in any alternative format must be entered into the e-assessment platform. To input student responses into the e-assessment platform, three options are available if a format of the alternative version is used:
- The student, if able, can enter their responses directly into the e-assessment platform as the student completes the assessment.
- The scribe, if one is assigned to the student, can enter the student’s responses directly into the e-assessment platform as the student completes the assessment.
- The teacher, if the student or scribe is not able to enter any responses into the e-assessment platform as the student completes the assessment, must sign into the e-assessment platform using the student’s sign in information, when the student has completed the session or stage, and transcribe the student’s responses directly into the e-assessment platform. It is important to transcribe the student’s responses exactly as the student has identified.